Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Anime vs. Reason (Warning: Anime series spoilers!)

Hello all,

Today I would like to discuss the topic of anime. I have recently been watching a lot more and just finished watching Gurran Laggen. It was a wonderfully absurd anime about the indestructible nature of the human spirit and the need for species to evolve to the heavens. I loved it because the message was general and straight forward and the over all premise was absurd.  Humans have been driven underground be the spiral king and their fight for the surface results in robot space battles that span and entire universe and a couple alternate dimensions.

Here is the thing, American t.v. and animation seems to be striving to be normal with the exception of some notable shows such as adventure time and regular show. I love the fact that anime is what it is. You want to make a show about alchemists? Go for it! Want to make a show about a half fish girl who helps a kid get over the loss of his own father while she is running away from her father, the sea witch? Yes please! You want to make an anime about a high school all male host club? Well...I won't stop you...but...huh...ok then.

Anyways, my point is, anime creators seem to have a real sense of creativity and I love it. You should watch more anime.

Have a great day!

The Grand (and overly warm) Badger Lando

1 comment:

  1. As many know I have the Sun and Moon from Soul Eater tattooed on me, I enjoy any kind of story that uses animation to further itself beyond the confines of live action. I think that the few that I have really enjoyed throughout, however, have been Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and FLCL... Though American animations have a place in my heart and on my flesh as well.

    ReplyDelete