Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Manliness

So I have been contemplating what being a man means recently, as it is a phrase that we (Males anyway) hear a lot growing up... And I think it ruins a lot of us.

Phrases such as "Don't cry, be a man." "Men don't have emotions." "Man up, quit being scared!" "You'll do it if you want to be a man." I find that things like this are terrible ways to make someone feel especially in the current day and age where persons are mocked for feeling of a different gender than they were born with. Being a man, and being a woman on a mechanical level is really all about procreation, thats how genetics works.

However being a man is much more than that. There is an amazing sight out there called The Art o Manliness which I avoided for a long time because I thought it was more of that old "To be a man you must be a robot that knows only when it needs fuel and how to kill everything" Bull... But obviously with how this is being written I don't feel that way. It does have many aspects about masculinity and what not, but the thing that I really enjoy about it is it takes a step back and is more of a guide (when offering guidance) on how to be a gentleman.

I talks about grooming, it talks about socializing, it has advice for men who don't have much confidence in themselves for whatever reason. Nothing in this blog is about tearing someone down for not being "That Man" but for the people who aspire to be more Manly it offers advice and discusses things that I, as a man, was curious about or think more men should do.

Either way the whole spectrum of being a man is difficult enough, I assume same goes for ladies but I don't live in that life and have only outside perspective. So with all that being said to anyone out there that thinks they have the right to tell anyone to "Be a man" by putting down someone for having emotions, being hurt, caring, not killing things, not attacking something for no reason, etc... I hope a herd of buffalo maul you in your bed. Being a man is more about respecting others than it is about forcing people to be like you.

The Manliest of Men
King Badger

No comments:

Post a Comment